Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

QOTD–Can People Change?

Absolutely.

Is it fast and easy?

Absolutely not.

We’re all hardwired by a lifetime of learned habits, images, and messages. We do things automatically without even realizing it because that’s what we’ve always done. It’s easy and comfortable. Feeling sad or depressed, grab a pint of ice cream. Win the big game, hang with your friends at the local bar and drink to your heart’s content. We’ve seen it our whole lives on TV.

The trick to fixing the negative habits is to change your go-to responses.

You’ll need to substitute something for that pint of ice cream. It can be a healthier food or a walk around the block.  And you’ll need to do this until it becomes the new norm.

But even then it’s not going to be easy because that old habit is still out there. It’s filed away in the back of your mind under “comfortable and easy”. So some time when you’re tired and just don’t feel like taking a walk that old habit is going to pop up. Then you are going to have to start all over again because the old habit has been with you your whole life and it will always be stronger than the new one.

Now I don’t claim to be an expert on this nor do I follow this advice without fail. I have struggled with weight problems my entire life and I’m not talking about a few pounds so I can look like some celebrity, I’m talking obesity. I’ve developed healthy eating habits and lost a lot of weight only to have them ruined by a week of vacationing. I didn’t listen to that voice that was telling me to eat the healthy food. I listened to the voice that told me I was on vacation and should eat what made me happy. There’s a reason it’s called comfort food.

Probably one of the best books I’ve read lately that explains the old vs. new habits is This Year I Will...: How to Finally Change a Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True by M.J. Ryan.

Go to your local library and check it out.

 

 

While writing this I was listening to " Living in a Fantasy" from "The Music of My Life" by "Neil Sedaka"

 

How can I stop this rain from fallin'?
How can I stop my heart from calling your name?
This ain't the way it's supposed to be
I'm living in a fantasy for your love.

Do you think of me when we're apart?
If I can think with my head and not my heart.
It's so sad...so sad to see..
I'm living in a fantasy for your love.

Days not complete if I don't hear your voice.
Sweet darlin' I got no choice.
Always wondering who's kissin' you now.
Tryin' to hold on...make it somehow.

Can't fight this feelin' that's so strong.
How can something so right turn out so wrong?
Why don't you listen to my plea?
I'm living in a fantasy for your love.

People always envy me,
They're not walking in my shoes.
They'll never, never know,
How I've been singin' the blues.

Can't make you love me if you don't.
You want me to grovel on my knees but I won't.
You're making my lose my sanity.
I'm living in a fantasy for your love.

I know you're sweet...sweet and fine.
But how many others are really on your mind?
There's no future left for me,
I'm living in a fantasy for your love.

Read more: Neil Sedaka - Living In A Fantasy Lyrics | MetroLyrics

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown