Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

QOTD–Are You Content?

So just what is content?

Dictionary.com defines it below:

content2

/kənˈtɛnt/

adjective (postpositive)

1. mentally or emotionally satisfied with things as they are

2. assenting to or willing to accept circumstances, a proposed course of action, etc..

verb

3. (transitive) to make (oneself or another person) content or satisfied:to content oneself with property

noun

4. peace of mind; mental or emotional satisfaction

interjection

5. (Brit) (in the House of Lords) a formal expression of assent, as opposed to the expression not content

Derived Forms

contently, adverb
contentment, noun

Word Origin

C14: from Old French, from Latin contentus contented, that is, having restrained desires, from continēre to restrain

content. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged. Retrieved January 03, 2015, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/content

 

Based on this definition I would probably have to answer “No”.

Be it health or financial matters, there are so many things I want or need to accomplish. And that doesn’t even include the “bucket list” items. To me, answering that I am satisfied with things as they are would feel like I have given up.

I’ve reached my fifties and feel like I’m behind schedule on being healthy or financially sound. Granted, I have been trying to focus on being in the moment and enjoying life as it is but sometimes I feel life is just moving way too fast.

As soon as I can reach some sort of balance between what I think I need to accomplish and what I have actually accomplished then I’ll be content. Or, maybe, I need to focus on what I have accomplished and quit freaking out about the other stuff.

But I guess that’s everyone’s challenge in life.

 

 

While writing this I was listening to " Just Another Day" from "Words & Music: John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits Disc 2" by "John Mellencamp"

 

Bobby Doll and Big Jim Picato
Call me up every single day
They don't work and they don't want to
Come on down to some damn café


Bobby Doll tells me
"Live in the moment"
Don't get too far ahead-
Don't live in the past
I blink my eyes
And the moment is over
I guess another day
Has passed


But it's just another day
It's just another day
Watching girls on the street
Well, that alright with me
But it's just another day


Bobby Doll and Big Jim Picato
Always there with their free advice
They've got pearl handled pistols
Underneath their vests
They want me to go out drinking
With them tonight


But it's just another day
It's just another day
Watching girls on the street
Well, that alright with me
But it's just another day


You got to clean white sheets in the morning
Conversation all afternoon
Bobby Doll and Big Jim Picato, baby
And me and you


But it's just another day
It's just another day
Watching girls on the street
Well, that alright with me
But it's just another day


But it's just another day
It's just another day
Watching girls on the street
Well, that alright with me
But it's just another day

Songwriters: Mellencamp, John

Just Another Day lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown