Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Picture of the Day–March 17, 2012

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

“Road Through Despair”

 

Today Evelyn and I drove down CO 67 from Decker, CO to Woodland Park, CO.

I had not been down this road since before the Hayman fire.

This is just a small portion of the total 138,144 acres burned.

Over 130 homes destroyed.  Over 5000 people evacuated.

6 fatalities.

Oh yeah, and it happened 10 years ago.

We spent the months of June and July of 2002 watching the glow and smoke of the fire from our balcony.

 

16_13A19_16A

 

I can’t begin to describe all the emotions and feelings I had driving through the “forest” today.

The first was total disbelief.

I mean the damage is unreal. There is very little new growth which means very little wildlife.

Speaking of wildlife, I can’t imagine how many animals, birds, etc.. were lost in the fire.

Next was extreme sadness followed by anger.

Anger?

Yes anger.

This wasn’t some accident, a spark from a train wheel, or a lightening strike.

This was arson.

By a U.S. Forest Service Employee….who wanted to be the hero for reporting the fire and saving the forest.

10 years later it still makes me mad.

 

 

While writing this I was listening to "Resistance" from "Catch and Release [Soundtrack]" by "Alaska!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown