Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lent 2015

Wednesday, February 18th through Thursday, April 2nd

As I’ve said in the past, not Catholic, don’t attend Christian services, kind of agnostic, but feel there is some larger power than us.

I recently saw the movie “Wish I Was Here’ written, directed, and starring Zach Braff.

There was a scene where he talks to a Rabbi about God and the Rabbi’s explanation is about a close as you can get to how I picture God.

God is what ever you need him to be.

Wish I Was Here–God As Infinity

As a kid, I had trouble visualizing an endless universe so I imagined we were in a glass jar sitting on a bookshelf in the house of some “higher” being. Maybe some science fair project. If you could travel far enough, you would eventually run into the glass.

As an adult, I have trouble believing in a vengeful God. One who is waiting to strike me down or turn his back on me whenever I’ve committed that one sin too many.

Let me clarify that this was not the teachings of my parents, they did a wonderful job of explaining things to me and by being an example in how they lived.

It was the teachings of the church I attended as a child that terrified me. I never really thought I would become an adult because God was going to destroy the world before I ever became a teenager.

I prefer to see God in nature, the blooming flowers, freshly fallen snow, rain on a hot summer day, and that infinite night sky full of stars.

I’m not sure how all this relates to Lent but I just needed to get that out.

For Lent, I’ve decided to give up soft drinks. Nothing but water, tea, and coffee for me. Ok, and maybe a beer or two.

I’ve also decided to add something for Lent as well. I am committing to at least one physical activity a day. Something besides walking since I average a couple of miles a day on my job. I‘m thinking some sort of exercise. Pushup, sit ups, going to the gym, etc.

It will do me good to drink less soda and maybe establish a habit of working out on a regular basis.

What are your plans for Lent?

 

 

While writing this I was listening to " You Are In Love" from "Paste Valentine's Day Sampler" by "Shannon Whitworth"

 

Watching you leave
Out the black back door
I know you are sick
I felt that before.
Driving away
No words to never say
What you want me to know
What you want me to say
You are in love with me
You are in love with me
One thing I believe
You are in love with me
Truth can untie me
The locks won't let go
Your skin is all around me
But I'll never get old
If you are here at the end
Or the next life begins
It's eternal bliss
Tragedies never can begin
You are in love with me
You are in love with me
One thing I believe
You are in love with me
This is when my heart drops
Like the ticking of a clock
In the silence of the night
No, you will never ever stop
You are in love with me
You are in love with me
One thing I believe
You are in love with me
You are in love with me
You are in love with me
One thing I believe
You are in love with me
Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/shannon-whitworth/you-are-in-love-lyrics/#G2m6gM7e7yVE6ic7.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown