Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Does your manager know you do that?

I went to one of our local Barnes & Noble stores today looking for a book that was recommended to me but I couldn’t remember the whole title or the author’s full name.

So after a while of perusing the shelves on my own with no luck, I finally broke down and went to ask for help.

Now, I work at a library and I know what it’s like to be asked to help find an item when the patron can barely remember the subject matter much less the title or the author’s name.

It went something like this:

Me: I work at a library so I know what it’s like to get vague request for items when the person can’t remember the title but…

Clerk: (blank stare)

Me: I’m looking for “Reinventing Yourself” or something like that and the author’s last name is Young. Sorry, that’s all I can remember.

Clerk: (blank stare)

He then proceeds to log onto Amazon.com to do a title\author search.

WHAT?!?!

I could have sworn I heard a needle drag across a LP and then nothing but crickets. I almost ran outside to read the sign on the building to make sure which store I was really in.

After locating the correct title and verifying it with me, he then logged on to B&N to check their inventory.

Clerk: We currently do not have the item but I can have one held for you.

Me: Can I just go online and order it myself?

Clerk: Yes

Me: Thanks

So I went out and got in the car, move it to a spot close to the building so I could connect to B&N’s wi-fi, turned on my Kindle and logged into Amazon.com and ordered the book.

It should be delivered to my house in 2 days with free shipping.

Hey, if it’s good enough for Barnes and Noble, it’s good enough for me.

 

 

While writing this I was listening to "Hopeless" from "Drops of Jupiter" by "Train"

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown