Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Looking forward to 2012…More or Less

Ok, here are my hopes, dreams and (cough,cough) resolutions for 2012.

I hope the Mayans were wrong.

The motto, Be Positive – Be Healthy – Be Active, stays for another year.

I mean really, how can I not strive for those things.

And instead of hard fast resolutions I’m taking the easy (chickensh*t) way out this year. I’m giving myself a little breathing room and taking some baby steps.

So here we go:

1. Less elevators – It’s probably the only exercise I’ll get this year unless Evelyn succeeds in getting me back into a gym.

2. Less sweets – They’re a weakness and I probably need a 12 step program to kick the habit because going cold turkey just ain’t happening.

3. Less fast food – it’s pretty obvious why. You drive there in a car, you order from the car, you eat in the car. All calorie intake with absolutely no output. Plus, I always order the large soda which is no less than 32oz or pure sugar and corn syrup. Can you say “Hello there diabetes”?

4. Less web surfing – I can spend hours at a time surfing the web. Just senseless, mind numbing, non productive surfing. I’ll still peruse Facebook and keep up on some of my favorite blogs but just less often. This past week I have already cancelled at least a dozen email subscriptions. 

5. More writing\blogging – In my mind I have always imagined myself being a writer of some sort. In reality? Not so much. I enjoy this blog and really need to contribute more. I know some of my posts can be a little darker in tone than I really intend them to be but I’m working on that.

6. Less procrastination – I need to do this in every aspect of my life but I’m really thinking about the writing part of my resolutions on this one. I have had several ideas for the blog this past year that I have either forgotten to write down or waited so long that the subject was out dated and no longer relevant.

7. More photography – This is one thing I truly love doing and I’m pretty good at it as well. I enjoy outdoor photography more than anything else so I plan on dusting off the camera and taking more road trips and hikes in the coming year. I also plan on posting more photos on line.

8. Reengage – Over the last year or so I have really disengaged from life and those in my life. I plan on reconciling that this year. I think that will be the best gift I can give Evelyn for our 30th wedding anniversary this year. Oh yeah, and that cruise she’s wanted to go on for the last 25 years.

 

Ok, so that’s that.

I want to leave you with one of my favorite quotes. I have used it for years to gauge where I am in my life.

 

The Good Life
Living in the place you belong,
With the people you love,
Doing the right work,
On purpose.

(from: Repacking Your Bags: Lighten Your Load for the Rest of Your Life by Richard J. Leider and David A. Shapiro)


 

 

 

While writing this I was listening to "Love Spoken Here" from "Mitakuye Oyasin Oyasin/All My Relations" by "The Neville Brothers"

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown