Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Barracks Thief By Tobias Wolff

51MJyzCgCIL__SL160_AA160_ This book took me by surprise. I began reading it and immediately expected a Vietnam war story but man, was I wrong. Yes,  it is an army story set during the Vietnam era but it deals mainly with Phillip Bishop who joins the army to get away from his divorced and feuding parents as well as his brooding brother. While stationed at Fort Bragg, he connects with 2 other recruits, Hubbard and Lewis. All is well until someone starts stealing from the soldiers in the barracks. Who the thief is did not come as a surprise to me but the reasons for the thefts and the choices made by the 3 main characters during the aftermath of the thefts really caught me off guard. The story is well written, with each character giving his perspective on the events.

 

 

While writing this, I was listening to "My Wave" from "Superunknown" by Soundgarden

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown