Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Santa Fe - Day 1

Ok, if you checked in one this blog lately then you know I haven't updated it. The same goes for my other site, www.tgford.webs.com. I haven't been keeping track of my goals and the diet and exercise is pretty much out the window. Why? Since March 2001, I have lost 9 family members including my parents, grandparents, aunts, and other extended members. Just this year alone, we have lost my grandfather, Evelyn's grandmother and my sister-in-law's mother. I'm just freakin' tired and really don't care about updating my sites.

So what does this have to do with Santa Fe? Well, this is the 1st vacation/trip that Evelyn and I have taken in over 2 years that hasn't involved a sick family member, a funeral or another family obligation. Call it a cliche but I'm hoping for a rebirth in spirit or at least an inkling that I might get back to enjoying the things I used to enjoy. I really can't think of a better place than Santa Fe for that. It seems to have an energy that both excites me and relaxes me all at once.

So far, so good. I'm writing this aren't I?

We arrived at about 3:30 this afternoon and checked into the hotel. Since then we have had afternoon sherries in the lobby and met a some other guests. One lady was from Allen, TX and was here for New Mexican cooking lessons. Another lady and her mother were from Washington state and were on a 30 day trip from there to Washington DC and back. Then there is Carmen and Mark. We met them at the hotel restaurant when Carmen wandered over to our table to let me know that she tried to intercept our food from the waiter but he wouldn't give it to her (I think she had one too many to drink). We began to talk and found out that we had a lot in common. Her and Mike have been together for 23 years; Evelyn and I have been together for 25+ years. No kids. No pets. She was laid off from her job last year as well. Her and Evelyn both had hysterectomies at a young age. For a chance meeting in a hotel, they turned out to be very pleasant dinner guests. They are here for the La Fiesta de Santa Fe which is an annual street festival in downtown. After a great dinner and a couple of margaritas, Evelyn and I retired to our hotel room where she promptly fell asleep.

Tomorrow is another full day as well. We are going to the farmer's market, a winery and the fiesta.

So good night all and I'll keep you posted with daily entries. I promise. After all, that is why I came to Santa Fe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown