Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Took It!

Ok, here's the job search score so far: 50 applications, 5 interviews and 1 offer.

You guessed it, I took the offer. After a score like the one listed above, why wouldn't I? I read all the self help articles on Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com which advise you to never take the first offer because the next job could be "The Job". But what if the first job is "The Job"?

Since I was a kid, going to the library was a big deal. Mom would take us about every 2 weeks and let us roam around and check out whatever we wanted to. Within reason of course. We weren't allowed to check out explicit adult material but we could check out items that may have been more advanced reading than we were prepared for. How else would we learn to push our limits and improve our reading skills? Since that time, reading has been a major part of my life. I enjoy reading and will read just about anything including every road sign I pass. This little quirk drives my wife crazy especially when she is driving and mistakes my sign reading for directions.

What has all this got to do with "The Job"? For years I have told my friends I was going to work at Starbucks or Barnes & Noble. Most likely B&N since you had to get up too early to be at Starbucks. Well, I think I did one better. The offer came from the local library. I will be a Circulation Assistant checking books in and out, shelving books, etc... I get to work with books, help people enjoy books and the earliest I have to be at work will be 9am and the latest I have to stay is 9pm. How could it get any better than that?

All I have to do now is wait for the background check results before they let me start work. That shouldn't be a big deal since I have led a fairly dull life. No smoking, no drugs, no arrests, and 1 speeding ticket. Not a bad record for 44 years of living.

Of course, as always, I'll keep you posted.

Check out my new employer at www.ppld.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown