Comments and critiques are welcome. Just don't be a troll, no one likes a troll.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Mission Accomplished

For Lent I decided to give up Facebook. I pledged to not logon from March 5th to April 19th.  Mission accomplished.

It wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought, it’s April 21st and I still haven’t logged on.

At first it was a little tough because notifications and alerts are forwarded to my phone but I managed to ignore them.

Considering I would spend a couple of hours each night perusing the site, I really didn’t miss it that much.

Sure, I missed knowing what my friends were up to and what life events they were experiencing but I did not and still don’t miss all the endless memes, recipes and game requests.

Later today I’ll be logging on to do some catching up but it will be a quick and condensed session. I’ll look through the notifications and friends requests and respond to them but I’ve got things to do.

This experiment has made me realize how much of my time Facebook sucked up and I can’t go back to my old habits.

So what have I been doing the last 6 or so weeks?

Well, I managed to read 9 books, catch up on several saved articles and magazines, applied for a new position at work (didn’t get it), cleaned up my music collection, and I spent a week in Washington DC (expect lots of pictures and stories to come).

I also spent a lot of time, as I have the last few years, contemplating how to be mindful, happy and generally improve my physical, mental and emotional health.

So with that in mind I want to share a video that was shown at our All Staff meeting last Friday. It really hit home with me.

 

I know I come off a little crazy (ok, sometimes a lot) sounding when writing this blog but I really want to thank everyone for being there for me and reading it.

 

 

While writing this I was listening to " Flirting with Time" from "Highway Companion" by "Tom Petty"

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. ~Author Unknown